But lately I’ve been wondering what Frank thinks about it all. So I told him that some kids believe Santa is real and some think he isn’t real, and I asked him what he thought. He mulled it over for a second and said, “I think he isn’t real. “ That sort of surprised me because even though I’ve never pushed Santa, I’ve also never said anything to make them not believe.
But then he went on, “I think some guy just puts on a costume and a fake beard and takes the presents to all the houses.” Now I was really intrigued. He understands that Santa himself is an unrealistic fairy tale, but still thinks that someone other than mom and dad is delivering presents? So then I asked him how that guy in the costume gets all the presents to all the kids’ houses? Again he thought for a second and decided, “I think he probably drives a van that has reindeer painted on it.”
I see my own Santa confusion has rubbed off on him. So now I’m trying to decide if I should continue to let a stranger in a Santa costume, driving an awesome custom van with airbrushed reindeer, get all the credit for what’s under the tree Christmas morning.
10 comments:
LOL
..and, we don't do the Santa thing, but I don't really tell a lot of people b/c it turns into a debate everytime it's brought up.
This post is hilarious. I love the ideas that kids get in their head about this kind of thing. Especially when the parents aren't promoting.
We have some friends who were telling their kids outright "the Santa thing isn't true" their philosophy was that they didn't want to 'lie' to their kids. So, there was no big magical Santa story as apart of their family tradition. By the time their oldest was 4 he was arguing with his Mom, "oh yes, there IS a Santa, Mommy!!"
It was so funny because even though they didn't promote it (and actually de-promoted it!), he was convinced.
I haven't decided yet how we'll explain or have things with our children (good thing Baby J is still clueless) but I understand both ways of thinking of it.
I think I like the idea of something fun & magical (Santa)but I don't want it to be a focus. I want to create family traditions that focus on the Spirit of Christmas in a way to really feel that in our home.
I know one family that does 1 present from Santa & that's it. I like that instead of a huge pile from Santa.
Also I heard someone say recently for kids' Christmas presents:
"Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read."
I kind of like that!
"Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read."
That is a great idea - I'm going to remember that for next year.
Isn't it funny even when you don't push the santa thing they still believe.
That's funny. It's crazy to me to think that Frank is all grown up and can have full conversations with you. I'll always remember him when he was like, a year old.
You know, I LOVE the santa thing. I LOVE seeing the awe on my kids faces on Christmas morning when they think they are going to catch Santa, and they realize he slipped past them again. I've never felt like I'm lying to my kids, and I never felt like that as a child. There was never a point when my parents "told me the truth," they just always smiled and said, "Santa doesn't bring presents unless you believe in him!" It's one of those truths that's just acquired with age, (haha) kind of like sex ed (the kind without the parents talking to you)!
My kids have a ball with it!! We LOVE SANTA!!!
Well, looks like my cover is blown. Quite a shame too, because the santa suit was hard to find in my size and I spent a fortune airbrushing our van. Have you ever tried hooking eight reindeer to a dodge caravan? Now that the cat is out of the bag, I guess I will have to find some other odd reason to sneak into people's houses with the pretense of leaving presents. I guess there is always the easter bunny thing...
Oh boy, I wonder what my son will say when he's a little older! So Frank was right! After all, there's the van to prove it!
so I started a new tradition this year b/c I think Xmas is overrated and everyone goes way overboard with the present thing.. I thought back to WHY we give presents and it is to symbolize the three wise men giving presents so I decided that each of my children get THREE gifts each.. It was a bit of a shock at first for me even and we had FHEon it..So we will see what the kids think come xmas morning.. I will let you know how it goes!
i love that VAN! and your story!!!!
Post a Comment